Saturday, June 26, 2010

Regent Park

The Khawaja family live in a temporary home in Regent Park. They're supposed to move into the much-hyped newly designed neighbourhood this fall. They hope it happens before September so they can take the family trip they have planned to Bangladesh.

When I arrived they were hanging out in the backyard, enjoying the nice weather and seemed relaxed about my arrival. Normally families begin to primp and fuss when my camera comes out, asking how they should pose. Most seem disappointed when I tell them to relax and just pretend like I'm not there.

Not these guys, they were naturals. They just did their thing and pretty much ignored me. It was a nice.

I have to admit I had some preconceived ideas of what Regent Park was supposed to be like. Yes, I admit my bias, which I imagine is probably shared by a lot of people who have only driven past the area.

Surprisingly it felt a lot like the upper-middle-class suburban Ottawa neighbourhood I grew up in - kids running around shrieking, riding bikes, their moms yelling when it got dark for them to come home. I guess it was a little run down (but this is temporary housing) the families were all immigrants and the kids talked excitedly about cricket instead of hockey. Otherwise, this could have been a neighbourhood anywhere in Canada.











2 comments:

Jean-Sébastien Marier July 4, 2010 at 12:52 PM  

Stunning photos and nice story Della. I really like the ''feel'' of the colour rendition. Did you work only in natural light?

Della Rollins August 10, 2010 at 11:35 PM  

Natural light outside (super high ISO) and some fill flash inside on some photos but I tried not to use it too much since it was pretty invasive and I wanted to get them in a natural environment.

About Della

I'm Della. I take pictures.

I'm a freelance photojournalist based in Toronto. My work has appeared in The Globe and Mail, The National Post, Toronto Life, Hello! Magazine, The Calgary Herald and Sun Media publications. I have also shot for a number of corporate clients, including the Government of Canada, the Law Society of Upper Canada, ING, Accenture, Pfizer, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Takeda, Amgen and Merck Frosst.

Likes: Snoopy Sno-Cone makers, dinosaurs, sharks, hot chocolate, ice cream, This American Life, CBC Radio, asparagus, zebras, travel, photography, grape soda, ice cream, naps, hoodies, the library, good e-mails, duvets, new books, mittens and lists.

Dislikes: Unicorns, ponies, glitter, tomato, wet cat food.

Check out my website at www.dellarollins.com
Contact me at: drollinsphoto (at) gmail.com

Follow iamayardsale on Twitter

Search This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP