Saturday, August 28, 2010

Julian Schnabel

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly is one of my favourite movies. I first saw it in the theatre while in photo school and I remember being amazed at how it looked. It was this giant screen of beautiful colours - gorgeous, blown out highlights, bizarre framing and focus on tiny details. The story itself is incredible, but for me it was all about the way that it looked.

I photographed the filmmaker behind The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Julian Schnabel, at the AGO. I know him as a filmmaker, but he's an accomplished artist - producing giant, modern paintings - which are in a show that runs at the AGO from September 1st until the end of the year.

He's known as a pretentious prima donna. He's been known to wear long robes and monogrammed slippers and is even quoted as once saying, "“I’m as close to Picasso as you’re going to get in this [expletive deleted] life!" but I was impressed at how down-to-earth he seemed during the walk-around with media.

The best parts about him were his shoes and socks. Check them out.





1 comments:

michael August 30, 2010 at 10:22 AM  

you've captured Julian at his very best...nice work on your site as well

About Della

I'm Della. I take pictures.

I'm a freelance photojournalist based in Toronto. My work has appeared in The Globe and Mail, The National Post, Toronto Life, Hello! Magazine, The Calgary Herald and Sun Media publications. I have also shot for a number of corporate clients, including the Government of Canada, the Law Society of Upper Canada, ING, Accenture, Pfizer, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Takeda, Amgen and Merck Frosst.

Likes: Snoopy Sno-Cone makers, dinosaurs, sharks, hot chocolate, ice cream, This American Life, CBC Radio, asparagus, zebras, travel, photography, grape soda, ice cream, naps, hoodies, the library, good e-mails, duvets, new books, mittens and lists.

Dislikes: Unicorns, ponies, glitter, tomato, wet cat food.

Check out my website at www.dellarollins.com
Contact me at: drollinsphoto (at) gmail.com

Follow iamayardsale on Twitter

Search This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP