Tuesday, June 7, 2011

David Dunlap Observatory

The people of Richmond Hill don't want more suburban housing, they want to preserve their now dwindling green space - at least that's what Karen Cievitz believes. She's part of a group defending the 100-acre David Dunlap Observatory property, which is currently slated to be turned into housing.

Yay! More suburban housing! Urban sprawl! Wicked!!! (I grew up in the suburbs so I'm allowed to be sarcastic on this subject.)

Yes, I know that the actual observatory isn't in the picture. It's deep in the woods, on private property, and can't be seen from the public space. This screwed me up a bit when I arrived since I imagined that the iconic observatory would be in the photo somewhere, but as I'm finding, we can't always get what we want.

Still, Karen was an eager subject and it was nice to take some time to walk around the park to learn about the space. It is a beautiful - and rare - space. I hope they find some way to preserve it.





0 comments:

About Della

I'm Della. I take pictures.

I'm a freelance photojournalist based in Toronto. My work has appeared in The Globe and Mail, The National Post, Toronto Life, Hello! Magazine, The Calgary Herald and Sun Media publications. I have also shot for a number of corporate clients, including the Government of Canada, the Law Society of Upper Canada, ING, Accenture, Pfizer, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Takeda, Amgen and Merck Frosst.

Likes: Snoopy Sno-Cone makers, dinosaurs, sharks, hot chocolate, ice cream, This American Life, CBC Radio, asparagus, zebras, travel, photography, grape soda, ice cream, naps, hoodies, the library, good e-mails, duvets, new books, mittens and lists.

Dislikes: Unicorns, ponies, glitter, tomato, wet cat food.

Check out my website at www.dellarollins.com
Contact me at: drollinsphoto (at) gmail.com

Follow iamayardsale on Twitter

Search This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP