Thursday, October 13, 2011

Minor Hockey

Hockey has been under a lot of scrutiny lately - from headshots, to Sidney Crosby's concussion, to NHL player suicides - and this has begun to spill over into the minor leagues.

I spent some time shooting local GTHL games for the Globe and Mail and it was nice to be back at the rink since, as a player myself, I spent most of my childhood at the arena. There was something strangely comforting about being in the stands during a game.

The GTHL had just introduced new headshot rules and it was clear that the fans, coaches and players were not happy. The refs were calling everything and the penalty boxes were filling up.

Personally I think it's important for safety and it's only a matter of time before everyone adjusts and the pace of the game picks back up but not everyone agrees. I listened to some call-in shows on CBC and many felt that it was ruining the flow of the game. This shocked me since it's about their children's safety and after all it's just a game, right?













1 comments:

blindmind October 14, 2011 at 12:13 PM  

I remember this assignment. So many great shots here.

About Della

I'm Della. I take pictures.

I'm a freelance photojournalist based in Toronto. My work has appeared in The Globe and Mail, The National Post, Toronto Life, Hello! Magazine, The Calgary Herald and Sun Media publications. I have also shot for a number of corporate clients, including the Government of Canada, the Law Society of Upper Canada, ING, Accenture, Pfizer, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Takeda, Amgen and Merck Frosst.

Likes: Snoopy Sno-Cone makers, dinosaurs, sharks, hot chocolate, ice cream, This American Life, CBC Radio, asparagus, zebras, travel, photography, grape soda, ice cream, naps, hoodies, the library, good e-mails, duvets, new books, mittens and lists.

Dislikes: Unicorns, ponies, glitter, tomato, wet cat food.

Check out my website at www.dellarollins.com
Contact me at: drollinsphoto (at) gmail.com

Follow iamayardsale on Twitter

Search This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP